Monday, April 4, 2016

10 Cloverfield Lane: A Review

Let me start by saying, “I love John Goodman.” That alone will tell you my mindset going into this film.

So, as I usually do, I give warning.

WARNING. May contain Spoilers.

You’ve been warned. Here we go.

Being a late night movie goer it is tough to get a viewing companion so I went to this one alone. I really didn’t know what to expect, except that I heard it had something to do with the movie Cloverfield and it had John Goodman. That was all I knew. I went to seek reviews, and when I saw a review title, ‘Go to the movie first, don’t spoil it by reviews.’ I paid attention.

Now … that reviewer was wrong. He insinuated that by reading a review it would ruin this HUGE surprise ending that no one is supposed to see coming. Okay, unless you lived under a movie rock, you’ll know the ending to this one. Although the teenagers I spoke to after the movie lived under a rock. They came out saying, “Dude, I didn’t see it coming.”

Really? Really.

“Did you see the movie Cloverfield?”

“Yes.”

“Then how did you not see it coming? Notice the movie title?”

“Ooooooh.”

But rest assured the movie is not about what is happening to the world, it is about human nature, trust and what happens in this really cool decked out bomb shelter.

Howard is a navy veteran. A survivalist with a keen sense of seeing what is coming. He’s divorced and we learn that his wife took off with his daughter whom he adored. Howard is played by Goodman.

Michelle is running from her relationship problems, in a dick move she packs up and leaves her boyfriend. While on the run, she is in an automobile accident and is rescued by Howard. When she wakes up, he tells her the world has ended.

She of course, doesn’t believe him. Which sets the tone for the movie. Is Howard lying and just a kidnapper or did the world really end. Now any attempt by JJ Abrams to confuse the audience, keep them guessing, is tossed out the window about thirty minutes into the movie. Unless you’re thick, dense or in the bathroom, the ‘I never seen it coming’ ending is pretty much given away there. Hell, it’s given away in the preview.

What you see in the preview is what you get in the movie. Although it has some good comedy moments, tense moments and ultra cool monologues with great music.

Did I like it? Yes.

It’s The Divide meets Misery. No kidding. It is.

Should you go see it at the movies? Yes for the visual effects. But don’t go alone. It is one of those movies you really want to discuss with someone afterward.

For example …. My big question still is, what the hell did the daughter have to do with the story line.


10 Cloverfield is certainly one I will own on digital Download. I’d say DVD, but does anyone really buy them anymore?

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good review. By the way, did you give it a second watch?
      I think the daughter was a fake hint, there were a lot of them in the film (like the scene when she was trying to call while still chained).

      Delete