Sunday, February 9, 2014

No High Hopes from me on Walking Dead Season 4.

Today Walking Dead Mid Season premiere will show, and I believe it will probably be the last Walking Dead that I watch.  I expect the back half to suck.  I am prepared for a good opening episode, but I am also preparing to turn it off for good mind you, unless my expectations of the show are proven wrong.

I’m sick of the way they handle it and here’s why.

My first expectation is they divided up the group, I will bet money, the first episode back,  that they don’t show the group. That we don’t see Glen, Maggie, Tyrese or the others. That we only see Rick and Carl and maybe Michonne. They left us in limbo for 8 weeks and sorry, bet we have to wait another week or two to get answers. Typical anymore to get us back.

They don’t know what to do. Start a plague, end a plague, no reason for it. Just to eat up time. Jump to the Gov on a road trip. What the hell? Did they say, “Hmm how do we end this plague, I know, show the Gov for two weeks and people will forget.” I expect more of that on the back half.

While I totally understand the need to vary from the comics, my argument is don’t do it half assed, as the writers and producers have done.

If they are going to vary and stray from the comics so as to give the element of surprise plus new storylines, than damn it. Do it. Stray. There is no element of surprise if a character dies in the novel and still dies on the TV show, Just because the writers change the course of direction and don’t’ change the outcome just irritates us.

Point taken … Judith. In the novel, she died in Lori’s arms. On the show, Lori died, Judith lived … lived the entire season. Through the flu that really didn’t make sense, just a way, I guess to eat up time. And then they kill her, showing nothing more than a bloody car seat.

Who the hell would put their child in a car seat in the apocalypse anyhow. I can guarantee my grandkids wouldn’t be in one, they’d be in my arms, as any baby would. Buckle them in, buckle them out? Too much work should you have to run.

Many are saying she isn’t dead. But unfortunately, according to Gimble, the show’s front runner, they couldn’t show her death on TV. She’s gone.

What the hell? I am so sick of Walking Dead killing people for the shock. Yes, inevitably people have to die,  but, really two years post apocalypse, some sort of survival skill has been acquired enough that one will not die as easily or as stupid. Putting a child in a car seat. Not clinging or assuring your own baby? They led us on with Judith, and to shock us and bring about emotions, they slaughter her.

Wasn’t Hershel enough? Really. Not only was I the viewer distraught but the cast was as well.

What made Walking Dead appealing throughout the novel was its ability to hold true to the center of an apocalypse universe. To have a good solid story, you need strength, weakness, hope and wisdom. So you need a sense that there will be a better tomorrow … children. Along with the weak, and the survivors and you need older characters to deliver the wisdom.

They killed Dale but Hershel was waiting in the wings. They killed Hershel there is no more voice of reason or wisdom. Gone.

The writers have turned to a shock effect instead of a story. Killing Judith is just wrong. A baby in the z-poc is a challenge, I feel the writers wanted to go with it, then chickened out.

And where the hell is Carol? How many weeks do we have to wait for answers? It’s ridiculous.

Actually, that’s a problem this season. Toss out something here (Michonne emotional with Judith) A tease  there, kick Carol out, wait three weeks to show Darryl’s reaction to Carol being gone and it’s what? Ten seconds?

Someone needs to go into that writer room and say, “People focus. Go back to basics and tell a single story.” They are all tossing out so called brilliant ideas on the table, starting them and not knowing how to weave them.


If Judith is really dead, we don’t see anyone but Rick, Carl and Michonne on the premiere, then I’m saying goodbye to the Walking Dead. They are using nothing but bait and switch tactics to reel us in, keep us waiting. I waited eight weeks to find out what happened to everyone, and if I have to wait any longer, I don’t want to know. Hershel’s gone, they need to give me a reason to tune back in for good.

No comments:

Post a Comment