Tuesday, November 28, 2023

Author Beware - Yeah, they tried to scam me


First, let me start by saying that I didn’t get scammed. They tried, but since this is one I haven’t heard of I thought I would share. Especially for authors out there that may not work in film as I do.  I did some research and found out this was happening more so two years ago, but now it’s back.

It started with an email.

An email came to the account I use for my amazon KDP, not my public email. It was from some director interested in talking to me about movie rights to one of my books. I looked up this director, Peter Andrews. The email looked legit, he had links to his IMDB, etc. So I replied, saying I was interested in what he had to tell me.

He replied the next day, which scammers are usually waiting for you to reach for the hook. He said it would be better to talk on the phone. We set up a call time and I gave him my work number.

I get a call, right on time from a man that identified himself as John Greene. He said hw was an acquisition agent with Amazon Prime. He was looking at my catalog and was interested in acquiring movie rights to My Dead World.

“Ok.” And that was what I said in a confused sort of way. “Ok.”

“Now Mr. Andrews is ready to pitch this to our team of investors next Thursday.”

“Ok.”

“Now are you familiar with how the process works, getting investors, pre production?” he asked.

“I’m a filmmaker.”

“Great! So I don’t have to explain all this to you. Now we’re prepared to offer you 400k for rights to the series.”

“Hmm.”

“What?” he asked.

“That seems a little high, ok, just go on.”

He did and asked if he could send me a test email. I told him yes and which email to send it. When asked if I received it, I said yes. This is what I got.

“What do you need from me?” I questioned.

“We need a treatment and a concept trailer, which is a high quality pitch to—”

“Yes,” I cut him off. “I know what it is. I see this company listed in the email. Creative Films.”

“Yes, they are willing and ready to do the trailer for you. That’s what they do.”

“How much?”

After going back and forth he told me, “Five grand.”

“John, why would I give Creative Films five grand for something I can do. I have access to the best equipment, filmmakers and editors in the country. I’ll do it. Send me the specs, I’ll handle it.”

Silence.

He gathered himself and chipper said, “I’ll talk to Mr. Andrews. I don’t see that as a problem and I’ll get back to you tomorrow.”

He never did.

Apparently, I learned this is a way to take advantage of authors. Sort of like those publishers who charged ten grand to edit and do a cover for a book that sells ten copies, promising the moon.

I suspected it was a scam, but knew when he said the amount for film rights. How many others wouldn’t know and would be so excited for an opportunity. Shame on Creative Films for taking such a dubious approach. If a film producer is really interested in your work, I won’t dismiss that they won’t email you if you’re self published, but chances are, they aren’t going to pump sunshine with a high offer up your butt before asking for money from you.

1 comment:

  1. You know how to shut a scammer up. Nice job Jackie!

    ReplyDelete