Wednesday, February 14, 2018

Being Poor: It isn't a SNAP

It’s a long one … be forewarned …..

I’ve never been rich and I doubt I ever will be. That’s  okay, I’m actually alright with that. I have however, been several levels of poor. From the ‘we will barely scrape by’ to ‘Robbing Peter to Pay Paul’ to ‘There is no Peter, there is no Paul, I’m screwed’

Recently I read an article where there is talk of USDA changing the EBT/SNAP/Food Stamp benefit. Taking up to 50% of the recipient’s benefit and replacing that with something called a Harvest Box. Which would be meat, milk, cheese, vegetables. The decision on what and who is affected would be left to the states.

Before I make a comment, I merely am going to give my own take on poor and not having enough to eat or rather lack of a choice in what I had to eat.

My low point, which some of you probably will say it wasn’t that bad, because it is true, no matter how bad you think you have it, someone else out there has it worse.

My journey into the worst ‘poor’ of my life started in 2008. Quickly following my marriage break up, I lost the car, and keeping the house was a pipe dream. I had no backup plan, no savings and at the time was writing (Making nothing) and working part time. That’s all I had to do, I was married. But that part time job wasn’t enough. Fortunately, I found a full time job at a nursing home and moved into this affordable apartment. It was five rooms over an empty store, no living room windows, steps from hell and the entire place was slanted. Seriously, all balls and cans rolled.

My take home pay was $1108 a month, plus I made another 300 being a Karaoke DJ. It was sustainable. Rent was only 650, a car payment from a ‘buy here pay here’ place, electric, insurance and phone, totaled just about 1200.00. We didn’t have cable or internet. If I set the laptop in the right spot in the kitchen, I was able to get the guest wifi from a local business. DJing paid for food and gas.

Then came my grandson. Suddenly that 200 to live on wasn’t all that much for food, diapers, formula, so forth. There were four of us to feed, gas for work. I was working all that I could and I found myself caught in a catch 22 loop. I applied for assistance, and was denied. See, my daughters had just turned 18, the baby wasn’t mine and according to guidelines I made too much money. My daughter applied and since she was technically still in school, it fell under my income, which again, I wasn’t allowed to count them. Not only denied SNAP, we were denied medical for the baby. Forget WIC, you need a doctor to sign off, no insurance, the Health Department was our doctor.

Basic food was a luxury. Now, keep in mind, at any time, I could have called any member of my family and they would have helped. But pride kicks in and you just can’t do it. You can’t let them know you don’t have food. Plus, I would bother my brother for help with the electric, I couldn’t ask him for help with food.

So I turned to the church. They helped me sign up for the Food Bank. The Food bank was a godsend. The ladies there made sure I had a can of formula and diapers each week. My grandson may not have had the same formula every week, but he was being fed. My little bit of money went for extra formula and things that the FB didn’t give that week.. Mostly, everything we ate, breakfast, lunch dinner was determined by what we received that week at the food bank.

You know what? We ate.

The way a Food bank works is you walk through stations picking one item from each.  Each station was a different type of item. Sometimes they had goodies. Then there was always bread from the local store, and sometimes there was fresh meat. At the end of the line was a packed brown bag, you weren’t allowed to look inside, you had to grab one and go. Always in there were pasta, protein, veggies, cereal/pancakes, etc

I didn’t have a choice, I didn’t have the money to go to the store and get what I wanted. For over a year there were never cookies or snacks in the house. That brown food bank bag was like Christmas. Every Saturday I would open it with enthusiasm and thanks.

Had I been eligible for food benefits, I would have purchased things that I craved like real milk, fresh oranges and lunch meat. And quite honestly, I would have purchased cookies, chips, ground meat not in a can, and fish sticks, I love fish sticks, but they can be expensive.

Now, you can understand why when I got my first Amazon royalty for $33, I danced about and treated everyone to pizza.

When I hear people talk about SNAP recipients using benefits for steak and such, it doesn’t bother me. I don’t believe they’re eating steak every night. It’s a treat. Most using SNAP are making it stretch as best as they can. So what if they want a steak. Their steak was my fish sticks. On a good sale day a sirloin costs less than a box of Gordons.

When I hear of the plans for that Harvest Box, I liken it to that brown paper bag from the food bank. While the choice of what I would make and eat was limited, I was still was eating.

I firmly 100% believe that if by some far off chance they pass the Harvest Box law, those who truly need the assistance (Like I did) would gladly choose that box and small balance on a SNAP card, over nothing. People unable to afford food don’t want the help, they need it. It’s hard to ask for help and there isn’t any boasting and flashing of that EBT card. Standing in line at the food bank isn’t a social occasion, it’s a weekly sledgehammer to your self esteem and worth. A shame, at least for me, that I felt and tried to hide.

Thankfully, I was blessed and able to pull myself out of that situation, but many others aren’t as fortunate. They get hit over and over and when they find themselves two steps ahead, something knocks them back.

Trust me when I tell you there is great pride when paying for your own groceries, even if it takes your last dollar.

Whatever your opinion is on SNAP changes, that is your opinion, there is no right or wrong on an opinion.

Just remember before you judge those getting benefits, put yourself in their shoes. Not everyone getting benefits is scamming the system. Try to imagine working two jobs and still not having enough to feed your family, it’s a horrible feeling. When a dollar will and does break you. Asking and getting help is hard enough without people judging for buying Oreos.


Whatever the law is or will be, bottom line, we should not be a country where people go to bed hungry and wishing there was a single pack of Ramen left in the cupboard.

7 comments:

  1. Well, i have been in your shoes. When hamburger helper came to the shelves it cost 25 cents. I had 2 kids and my roommate had 3. 2 boxes of hb minus the meat fed us. Never applied for assistance, i wasnt taught that way. At that time my salary totaled 400 a month. Nowdays u dont know if they use a debit card or not because everything is loaded on a card and you definitely dont stand in the welfare line. Its computerized.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree, I've been down that road as well, and those truly needing assistance will be grateful for a box, and any way to feed their family. One thing I appreciated from our food bank,weekly, you were also given either laundry det,dish soap or toilet paper.....these are not allowed on food assistance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carol, I forgot about that. Yeah, they gave laundry soap, too.

      Delete
  3. As you know, I have been down this road twice. This last time has been the worse. The unemployment is nowhere near enough to make ends meet. You hate to ask for help because it makes you feel like a failure. You are so grateful for having food to at least feed the kids. Leaving yourself and your wife to eat whatever is leftover, ceral, or eggs every day. I actually lost so much weight from the stress, that I hit a weight I have not been at since maybe I was 21. It is not fun, in fact it is still tough.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with most of you, but let me tell you a true story. My neighbor is a healthy white middle-aged woman who has never worked. Her mother was an alcoholic and got Welfare. She drinks every day, but is not actually an alcoholic. She's been on Welfare her whole life. When they used to give out actual food stamp booklets she would go around the neighborhood wanting to sell them, at a discount, for cash for beer money. I wouldn't buy them, but someone always did. $50 worth for $30? Someone always did. Now she has a card and can't do that, SO, she goes to the food bank and on the holidays when they give out vouchers for turkeys or holiday meal groceries for a local grocery store, guess what??? she sells them. Most people are normal people trying to make ends meet, but there are too many that cheat. It's sad all the way around. Oh by the way, growing up we were very poor (lived in a chicken coop on my grandparent's property) and we got "government food", which is similar to the box you are referring to now. We survived.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I suspect a very large number of people have been poor enough for food stamps and food banks. I have been blessed and have not needed assistance since I was a young single mother (now am a grandmother). I discovered that I would get paid more if I worked a mans profession so I became an Army Medic, then an EMT, then a Police Officer. I did not get to spend nearly enough time with my daughter but she was fed and had medical care and I believe she knows I love her dearly! Now I watch her struggle to fend for herself..she was doing well till around the 2008 crash. Life is not for the wimpy I expect. By the way I bet part of that first Amazon check was from my reading your books as I have read them all and just downloaded another today!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I could have written this story, that is how similar my situation was. However, in the middle of it, I fell on the ice and dislocated and tore my shoulder which resulted in surgery. I waited nearly 5 weeks for the S&A checks to kick in. Beyond the no more Paul to rob stage. Days before I finally received the first S&A check, I went for assistance. I received food stamps and very little cash of something like 126. for myself and 3 children. I carefully budgeted my grocery list. By then I had learned to slice, dice, fry, boil, fillet, and cream hot dogs like a pro. I set aside $20. of the stamps and decided my children were going to have a party that night, a reward for how understanding, helpful and patient they had been by not complaining about dividing 2 hot dogs between the 4 of us. For saying Thank You as I sat that creamed glob of 2 dogs on their plate. I purchased a 6 pack of pop, chips, pretzels, and a pizza, and even a small bag of chocolates. It was hard enough to pay for all of that with food stamps but a sweet old lady near me had to comment that we ate better than they did, and commented about the junk food. My kids, Bless their hearts, were so excited to eat something different. They said we could eat one slice of the pizza for dinner and have the other slice for lunch the next day. My son divided the chocolate in to 4 cups and said we can each eat one from our cup every day. My checks came a few days later. Oh yes...I had to pay the assistance office back the cash they had given us.

    ReplyDelete