This is sort of long, but a catch up and I hope worth reading for you.
I don’t know what caused the mindset change, I have
been a pretty positive person about this disease and outcome. Maybe not the symptoms or the
out of control testing and locations …. But today, I went in differently.
It all started with Elvis socks my grandson got me to wear
to chemo. On Sunday I decided if I were wearing the socks then I would show, then
I just added to the outfit. You know what? I’m not normal, let’s do this up
bright and out there. I thought. I called my son, Noah for eccentric help.
The outfit changed my whole attitude. People looked at me wondering if I just didn’t have a fashion sense or maybe not all there.
I didn’t want to be like the other women in the waiting room.
Sad and quiet, looking lost or looking for a fight. Which apparently a fight broke out over
Price is Right while I was getting examined.
Positive and bright like my outfit. Not to mention my naked Sam and Dean Supernatural Pillow.
Although taking a view inhales of my Medical Marijuana probably
didn’t hurt my positive attitude. The nurses and aides all commented on my
outfit with a smile, saying, ‘look at you.
All fancy today.’
My friend Mike is going through Chemo and he posted a pic of
him watching TV from the chemo cubical. I was bound and determined to find it.
I did. Food Network was my choice.
My daughter Allie was with me, I know she thought I was extra. Telling me to talk quieter about the chefs on Food Network and she asked me , “Mom were you singing Elvis with a nurse’s aide in the back?”
“I was.”
“Okay, that’s what I thought. When the fight broke out the
nurse said she was going back to the happy patient and singing Elvis again. I
wondered if that was you.”
Who else. I made people smile and laugh today. That made me happy.
The positive grew. While my weight was down, so was my blood
pressure … it was normal.
I saw my oncologist, sweet little thing that looks at me as
if she just is trying to understand me. She was truly worried and wanted to
help with the symptoms.
She knew I was concerned about adding that bone medicine and
confident I could handle it. I told her ‘Fine, I got that brain surgery you guilted
me into.’
Then she got the brightest smile, grabbed my hand and said, “And
I am so, so happy you did that. It was the right thing to do. Now … for your
severe symptoms….are you still drinking?”
“No. Yes. But micro sips and not like I was. I’m no longer a
Hemingway functioning alcoholic.”
That made her pause. She said she wants to put me on a pill
to take at night, three days before the bad week and all the way through. I was
like, ‘wait, isn’t this a med that they prescribe as an antipsychotic?’
“Yes,” she replied. “But it’s a very low dose. A quarter of
what is usually prescribed.”
“I’m a writer, I’m afraid it will mess with my brain.”
“I highly doubt it will quell any thoughts that go on in
your brain.’
Meaning?….. Fine. Give the subscription.
Then she told me. She doesn’t want to lessen the dose
because of symptoms. Not yet.
Why? Sharing time for all of you following.
My tumor markers went down between the first and second
treatment.
Upon physical examination, my underarm lymph nodes are much
smaller, the swelling in my arm has decreased drastically, and the tumor in my
breast is significantly smaller.
“The cancer,” she said. “Is dying off and retreating causing
the shrinkage and healing. We are on the right path, a steady trajectory to what we want to
see.”
Well, hell, side effects be damned, if this is working, I’ll
deal. I went into the chemo room with a renewed fight. I’m fighting this bad boy. I named my breast tumor Negan. Because Negan will eventually get defeated.
Now, of course, they took blood today and I am worried that
my markers will go back up. She said the physical tests say a lot. I’ll hold on
to that and have a deep convo with God tonight about keeping this path going.
If you have a little prayer list, I’d appreciate the name drop on it.
As for next treatment, I’m thinking Ace Ventura.


Jackie I loved loved this post! You got this girlfriend. Gotta love some Elvis too. Praying hard. Love and hugs
ReplyDeletePam B
TV Shows to sleep by
ReplyDelete1. How It’s Made
2. The Joy of Painting
3. Antiques Roadshow
4. Time Team
5. Escape to the Country
TV Shows to sleep by
ReplyDelete1. How It’s Made
2. The Joy of Painting
3. Antiques Roadshow
4. Time Team
5. Escape to the Country
Sending up prayers to The Creator for you, you Wonderful Person you! Hugs, Buffy
ReplyDeleteLove it! That attitude is also helping. So why were they fighting over The Price is Right??? Lol
ReplyDeleteI have been following but not commenting much as your pain is so close to my heart. I read your post and had to laugh. It reminded me of my Amy's first appointment at her oncology neurologist appointment. She was so afraid and so very angry. We pushed her to the waiting room in her wheel chair that she absolutely despised, she then looked around the room. A few patients and family members smiled at her. She glared with so much anger and said, "What Are You Looking At!!, We are all going to DIE!" I was speechless. Everyone to the left of the room just looked, then move to the right of the room. They were as speechless as my husband and I. Amy never had a mean word for anyone but that brain cancer changed her demeanor and she said what ever she wanted. Like you she did start dressing however her mood set on any given day Be as silly as you want. You got this!
ReplyDelete