Tuesday, January 3, 2023

Facing the Writing Changes

 


I think this may be the longest I have gone without blogging, and I think I need to get back into it. Every year, I say the same thing. Who knows, maybe this will be the year.

 I thought about blogging again because I wanted to do a food blog. Since living on my own, I find myself cooking more because, well, I am making what I want to eat not what everyone else likes to eat. My daughter calls them spinster dinners, but technically AM I spinster if I have been married a bunch.

 This year I face a lot of challenges as a writer and any oldie (Writing for Kindle for 7+ years) will know what I mean about changes. I just celebrated my 12th anniversary with Kindle and the changes are strange. Many I never noticed because I never used a lot of the things other authors did.

It took me 10 years to realize I could email amazon and add my book to different categories other than the two I picked during publishing.  I always thought that was limiting, now, you can tell them what categories to add but you will only really show in three. So I’ll just stick with my two and let Amazon determine from the keywords, like I always did.

There’s a lot of changes in my genre of apocalypse as far as readers go. It starts out subtle, you don’t notice the trend until your rank is no longer what it used to be. So many genres are buried and done, like zombie. No one wants to read about a plague. Forget nuclear war. Until a fresh batch of readers gets scared of it, that will tank. EMP is so overused, as now is the CME events. So what is left? Natural disasters, aliens. I try at least once a year to invent a new type of apocalypse.

I find myself, as others probably do, stalled to the will of the masses. When I actually think my diehard readers don’t care. Yeah, some refuse to read zombie or aliens. But trying to fit the mold takes more time then just writing what comes to me. Be it horror, apocalypse, comedy, BEGINNNINGS!

So for the record, I am making my writing New Year’s Resolutions. I’ll check back in a year and see how I did.

  • Finish at least two books I started and never finished.
  • Finish a dead trilogy (One I stopped writing because I lost interest)
  • Write what I feel, what comes from me. If the genre is a gone genre, vow to bring it back with good story telling..
  • Get back to Vella. I like to do a vella book once and a while, they really keep me on my writing tows.
  • Make my yearly ‘different’ book that I write, really different.

1 comment:

  1. I’ve read all your books and you really are the most versatile writer I know!! And I loved every one of them. Even the early sappy lovey dovey ones I didn’t think I would like, but read them anyway and loved!! However, ever since I was a young 12 year old girl and read the stand, I have a special love for apocalypse genre. And although you are right in saying most categories of this are dead, something about the way you write, pulls people in and they turn out to be really very good books!! Plus, I do feel like you have a hardcore following that are here because you write exactly what we want to read

    ReplyDelete