Saturday, December 4, 2021

Italian Hoagies - Best in the South of Pittsburgh

Whether you call it a sub, hero, hoagie… it all means the same. A delicious sandwich on a long bun filled with meats, cheese, veggies …. Sometimes hot, sometimes cold.

I am a food person, I take pictures of food. I’m weird like that.

I decided since I love Italian Hoagies to embark on a test of who makes the best and who are my favorites.

Now I excluded the local legends like Triangle Bar and Primanti Brothers (Over rated) and I picked the subs I felt were my favorite and took nicely dissected photos s you can get a deep view.

Disclaimer: I live in the South Hills of Pittsburgh, so these places are to the south of the city. Some of the restaurants I tried and while good, were not in my top list. Trust me I have tried almost every hoagie in this area.

You may disagree, but if you haven’t tried these places, it’s a must. Perhaps the photos will temp you.

Honorable Mention – Jersey Mike’s


I know it’s unfair they’re a chain, but no food in the world smells better or leaves a great scent in your car. Packed with meats and veggies, they’re made fresh on spot. They aren’t hot, but I am waiting for the day when I can get the Italian cooked like they make the  Cheesesteak.







6 – Loose Moose – Baldwin


This sub packs a bang for your buck. A  super-size sub, heavy on veggies and not thick with meat, but it’s a deal at 13.00. And it’s pretty tasty.







5 – Toss


I love this little sub. The bun is NEVER over done, it has just the right amount of meat veggie balance. Just an amazing little sandwich that is never bad and always good.









4 – Danny’s


I would have ranked them higher but the bun is never consistent. Sometimes it’s too crunchy. But the hoagie is outstanding.  And the dressing .,... excellent.









3 – Donte’s (Brownsville Road)


Look, if you want a good sandwich at a great price, go for lunch. Half hoagie, fries and beverage all for 7.99. I love this place and the people that work there. You know when you eat this sandwich it’s made by people who enjoy making the food. The owners are also awesome.




2 – The Trolley Stop


Oh my God, I have loved this hoagie from the first bite in 2001. And you know what? It hasn’t changed. It is consistently always the same. They have this mayo dressing they put on. Get an extra, you’ll want to dip. The bun is never over done and it’s priced right.







My favorite …..

1 – Nick’s Pizza (Castle Shannon)



The genoa salami pops in your mouth. That makes this hoagie so grand. I was eating one of these hoagies 30 years ago when I went into labor with my twins, but damn it I was gonna finish it. For a span of a few years, when Nick the owner sold this place, the hoagies kind of lost their luster, but they are back. The bun is seasoned and the balance of veggies and meat is perfect. 

Those are my favorites, I’d love to hear about yours.

I think I'll do an egg roll challenge next.

No comments:

Post a Comment